Lizard Island Luxury Accommodation Great Barrier Reef Australia
- Tariff & Booking
Dining is one of our Great Barrier Reef hotel’s many pleasures. Ospreys Restaurant embodies the resort's understated elegance. The menu, which changes daily, is fresh and creative, showcasing the finest local produce and freshest seafood.
In the 2010 US Condé Nast Traveler Readers' Choice Awards (Category 'Top 20 Resorts Oceania') Lizard Island ranks 8th. Lizard Island was voted second in the category 'Best Australian Resort' in the 2009 Gold List Awards. In 2008 Lizard Island was voted as the top hotel in Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific and one of the top 100 hotels and resorts in the world at the Travel + Leisure World's Best Awards.
Lizard Island is accessed by air from Cairns Airport in northern Queensland, Australia. Cairns Airport is accessible from all major Australian airports and directly from some cities in Asia.
Lizard Island is Australia's northernmost island beach resort, located 240 kilometres north of Cairns and 27 kilometres off the coast of North Queensland.
Lizard Island is a National Park covering 1,013 hectares with 24 sandy beaches and a lagoon. Our resort is easily accessible from Cairns.
Diving & Snorkelling
Diving and Snorkelling activities around Lizard Island
Lead by experienced dive guides offering interpretation and safety, M.V. Serranidae snorkel & scuba diving trips are the ideal way to experience the amazing fish and coral of the Great Barrier Reef.
Half day and full day trips are available on alternate days aboard M.V. Serranidae, travelling to Great Barrier Reef dive sites is equally accessible to both snorkellers as well as divers. The half day trip departs at approx. 9.00am and returns at approx.12.00pm, taking you to either the continental islands with their own unique fringing reefs or to patch reefs which are constructed entirely of coral.
The full day trip, departing at approx. 9.00am and returning at approx. 4.00pm, visits two sites on the ribbon reefs, including the renowned Cod Hole.
Lizard Island is one of Australia's most remote and breathtaking locations and boasts amazing natural wonders all year round.
View the unique Lizard Island nature calendar below so that you will be sure not to miss out on your most treasured natural wonder, and experience a truly unique ecotourism experience.
- The Amphibious month.
- Green Tree Frogs dominate the nocturnal sound show as they come out to breed.
- The Black Flying Fox camp sizes are at their largest, providing spectacular flight scenes at dusk around.
- Monitor Lizard activity is also high with tunnels being dug for nesting chambers around the island.
- Black-Naped Terns begin nesting.
- The Melaleuca Forests are flooded and mangrove swamps are rich with juvenile fish life.
- Terns swarming around Osprey Island preying on the summer fish stocks.
- Constellation of Orion dominates the early night sky.
- Crested Terns begin nesting.
- Pheasant Coucal birds changing to their darker plumage.
- Sacred Kingfishers often sighted around the island.
- Migratory birds such as the Lesser Golden Plover begin to show their breeding plumage before the migration to the northern latitudes.
- Bar Shouldered Doves nesting.
- Southern Cross constellation rising early in the night sky.
- Green Sea Turtles spotted feeding along the beaches at low tide.
- Clear skies and early twilights bring red sunsets over the Pacific.
- Kapok Bush begins to flower.
- Swallowtail Butterflies sighted around the resort.
- Humpback Whales begin their northern migration. Curious Minke Whales often approach tour vessel for a closer look.
- Playful Spinner Dolphins may surf the bow wave on the outer reef trips.
- Clear views from the top of Cooks Lookout.
- Centaurus shines over the meridian at night.
- Sightings of Humpback Whales during their migration to warmer waters for calving.
- Goannas often sighted along tracks warming their bodies in the midday sun.
- Osprey often sighted around their large, high nests.
- The very sociable White-breasted Wood swallows begin breeding.
- Umbrella trees showing off their brilliant red flowers.
- Constellation of Scorpio dominates the spring night sky as it chases Orion over the western horizon.
- The Marlin season begins with Giant Black Marlin cruising the outer reef during their breeding season.
- Minke and Humpback Whale sightings.
- Black Flying Foxes feed on the mango fruits around the resort at night.
- As the water temperatures warm towards 27°C, you’ll see an increase in wildlife activity.
- The prominent bright yellow flowers of the Kapok Bush in full bloom.
- The 'Teapot' in Sagittarius shines above at night.
- Lesser Golden Plovers arrive on the island from Siberia & Alaskan territories.
- Torres Strait Imperial Pigeon migrates down from Papua New Guinea to form breeding colonies on the island.
- Beach Stone Curlew patrol the beaches acting as decoys for their nests.
- Black Marlin begin their spawning season on the outer reef.
- Coral reef annual spawning towards the end of the month turns the blue waters orange.
- Kapok Trees fruiting.
- Green, Loggerhead and Hawksbill Turtles seen grazing on sea grasses along the beaches.
- Pelagic fish species active around spawning season.
- Monitor Lizards active whilst constructing nesting chambers.
- Occasional sightings of Manta Rays around the island.
- Water temperature a warm 29°C.
Dining at Lizard IslandGourmet meals, fine wines and Champagne are included in the tariff .
Simple and relaxed, Ospreys Restaurant is the idyllic setting to take full advantage of the views along the seascape for a special dining experience on Lizard Island. With an accent on fresh seafood and superb local produce, the daily changing menus draw on the flavours of modern Australian, Asian and European cuisine.
Gourmet picnic hampers for beachside outings are available on request daily. A real treat.
Lizard Island is able to cater for any special dietary requirements, however due to the resort's location if you could provide as much notice as possible to ensure we can meet your needs.
Breakfast is available from 7:00am to 10:30am, lunch from 12:00pm to 2:30pm and dinner from 6:30pm to 9.00pm.
Bar and Lounge
The resort's relaxed lounge, open all day, offers comfortable sofas and an inviting bar area. Enjoy tropical juices, coffee and tea, Australian and imported beers. The extensive wine list features Australian and New Zealand wines or you may select your favourite spirits, liqueurs and cocktails. A Cellar Masters list is also available if you wish to purchase a special wine for the occasion.
Signature Beach Dining Experience
For a special Lizard Island dining experience, choose from two beautiful beach locations. Prior to dinner, you will have the opportunity to meet with the Chef to discuss your 7-course degustation menu and matching wine selection. Minimal service interruptions ensure the ultimate seclusion and privacy.
Private dining can be booked on arrival or during your stay at Lizard Island.
Spa Care from the Australian Dreamtime
Azure Spa offers a range of treatments inspired by
nature to nurture the mind, body and spirit using LI’TYA
products a high performance range of natural Australian
spa care products that integrate the potent qualities
of the Australian earth and spirit. These powerful spa
treatments unlock the profound wisdom of ancient Aboriginal
medicine and healing modalities that assists you to
generate your own health and balance.
Combining ancient indigenous medicines and massage techniques, with aromatherapy, colour therapy, sound therapy and herbalism principles it will positively enrich your spirit whilst providing extreme skincare results.
Note: There is no mobile phone coverage on Lizard Island.
Lizard Island presents elegant, yet understated Great Barrier Reef accommodation.
Choose between any one of our luxurious rooms and suites.
Check in time is 3:00pm / Check out time is 11:00am.All rooms contain the following amenities and facilities:
- Air Conditioning
- Ceiling Fans
- Work Desk
- Guest Stationery
- Direct Dial ISD/STD Telephone
- Bose Sound System with CD Player and iPod Connectivity
- Aroma-therapy Oil Burner
- Feature Books
- Fully Stocked Mini Bar
- Tea & Coffee Making Facilities
- Bath Robes
- Beach Towels
- Hair Dryers
- Iron and Ironing Board
- Private Deck
- Evening Turndown Service
- Safety Deposit Box
Anchor Bay Rooms
Located in a tropical garden setting with easy access to Anchor Bay and the beach, Anchor Bay Rooms have a private balcony. Interiors are compact but comfortable and include a Bose sound system with CD player and iPod connectivity. Bedding includes a king-size bed (max 2 people) or two double beds (max 3 people). Anchor Bay Family Rooms with two separate sleeping areas are.
Sunset Point Villas
Sunset Point Villas are set high on Sunset Ridge amongst native eucalyptus bushland. Providing filtered sea views over Anchor Bay or Sunset Beach, these Villas offer privacy and easy access to a string of secluded beaches. Each Villa has a private deck with comfortable Australian timber chairs and a hammock. Sunset Point Villas also feature a Bose sound system with CD player.
Anchor Bay Suites
Set in a broad sweeping arc along Anchor Bay, with easy access to the main Lodge, Anchor Bay Suites offer captivating sea views and each has a pathway leading directly to the beach. Seamlessly blending indoors and out in an elegant and spacious open plan design, a large verandah with daybed is one of the many comforts. Anchor Bay Suites also feature a Bose sound system with.
Perched high above the Coral Sea and set on the point of Sunset Ridge, The Pavilion combines complete privacy with a spectacular 270-degree panorama of Anchor Bay, Osprey Island and Sunset Beach. An expansive decking area incorporates a private plunge pool, sun lounges and a daybed area, inviting guests to relax and take in the stunning views. Leaving the balcony to stroll.
This accommodation is available as part of one of our Custom Itineraries or holidays, please click here to learn more about how we can help you with your holiday.